Monday 3 February 2014

Starting My Skills As A Boy

Like many blogs I have started before I never know where to start. Maybe a should start for the very beginning.

"Well best get the kettle on the go as this May take a while"

I can remember one evening after school my dad coming into my bedroom telling me I was going to make some new friends and learn cool stuff and learn to be a man, well he had me at the "Cool Stuff" 

Well after I had my tea my dad and I jumped into his car and he took me to the local church grounds. At my age this place was terrifying, dark and creepy. Well at the bottom of the grounds he parked up and we headed to this old banged up wooden type shack and what I could describe as screams coming from within. Well we headed in and i was confronted by loads of lads ranging from my age to a lot older and all looking very smart. In dark green jumpers and black trousers with yellow and black bits of fabric round there necks. Well the man in charge came over and started to chat to my dad. And the leader said "why not go talk to the others as he needs to chat to my dad" well I short while later I turned round to see my dad was gone. And at that point terror set in ! 

The the leader came over and explained he would be back later. And at this point I noticed all the others standing in a circle and the leader stood in the middle and the told the group that I was new and I was to stand and wait till he called me in.

Well the hold group then crouched down into what I would call a frog pose then started to chant something. Well after this happened I was called over and was paired up with another lad called Chris. Well a game started and I was started to have a lot of fun. By know I was getting really hot irl never forget this moment when I turned around and saw Chris's back steaming from being hot in a cold hall.

Well shortly after all this rope came out and I was give cards explaining how to tie knots well I tyred and tyred. And finally after some help from the leader I tied my first not and from there I've been hooked on anything out doors and anything with a scouting aspect. 



Over the years I worked my way up through the ranks and the groups to finally end up a Venture.  

Beavers
Cubs
Scouts
Venture
Then moves to army Cadets. 

After hitting the maximum age of 20 and having a heavy sleeve full of badges. 


The badges I could earn for such cool things. Like knots or even lighting fires. 


As the years went by I still had the urge to get outside. And start having fun again. When this opportunity showed itself in the form of my little 8 yo Nephew. He showed the desire to join after I told him what I use to do. 


Well it's now to continue on my next blog with the continuation. 


And also check myself out on...

Twitter 

Instagram

Forum

So please come back and check out my other posts. 

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment